Historically, New Year's Eve has always been a frantic experience. For our friends it consisted of teetering around in too high heels and a stiff sequined dress while desperately trying to find the best place to ring it in.
As time has passed and the pressure has wained so too has the desire to endure the crush of the busiest night of the year outside of the house. We recommend you spend your day prepping this amazing punch and inviting friends over to celebrate by the fire. And by fire we mean the Netflix Yule Log with Music.
It will warm your cold, cold hearts and bellies just in time for that New Year's kiss. Plus you can wear slippers the entire time which means you're already reaching your #2019goals.
From our "fireplace" to yours, cheers to a happy and a healthy New Year!
Fireside New Year's Punch
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 4 lemons, peeled and peels reserved
- 4 cups Cinnamon Tea (Ex/ Tazo)
- 1 cup Lemon Juice
- 4 cups Tequila Añejo
- 2 cups Mezcal
- 1/2 cup Canton Ginger Liqueur
- Lemon wheels and cinnamon sticks for garnish
- In a large bowl add sugar and lemon peels, rub together to release the lemon oil into the sugar. Allow to infuse for at least 30 minutes. (This technique per David Wondrich, is called oleo-saccharum)
- Dissolve sugar and peel mixture with Cinnamon Tea. Strain into punch bowl.
- Add tequila, mezcal, lemon juice and ginger liqueur to the mix and stir.
- Serve warm immediately garnished with lemon wheels and cinnamon sticks
Pro Tip: Pour the entire batch into a slow cooker set to low. This will allow the mixture to stay warm throughout the evening without cooking out the alcohol or making it too hot to imbibe.